Sunday, January 25, 2009

Friday Night Beer Races

FRIDAY NIGHT IS SAILING NIGHT

For 30 years, Pete Richards and Jim Schmit have been sailing in the Friday night races from Honolulu Yacht Club. They've been nice enough to let me tag along for the last few races, and have even invited me to keep coming back to learn more [God help them!].....

Our motley crew assembles at the dock by 5 o'clock every Friday, emerging from the craziness of week's-end-Waikiki traffic to see who has shown up to sail with us this week and get the boat out of harbor to jostle for the best starting position when the race-start horn blows at 5:30. This week Antoinella [from Italy], Jenny [Local/California girl], and Chad'n'Eric [two North Carolina boys who've never sailed before] are sailing with us.

I'm still stuck in traffic at 5:05 and get a call from Jim: "How long?" ...so, I'm running and jumping into the boat as it pulls away from the dock; it's racing time.

Pete and Jim both
own their own boats, and have been sailing for a long time. We're on Pete's boat, Harvey today, and the engine cuts out as we enter the channel. Jim jumps up and starts hoisting the mainsail, it's my job to make sure the sail doesn't jam on its way up - old boats have lots of character...

There is a good wind blowing and we are under way quickly, skipping along the subsiding southerly swell. The easy banter between the two skippers soon starts, and I chuckle and marvel at the artful way they trade insults while navigating, and debating race tactics. This is one of my favorite things about sailing on Fridays.

We time the start perfectly, counting down and crossing the Committee Boat right as they blow the starting horn, and the streaming debate is now interspersed with yacht club gossip as Jenny joins the conversation. Our arch-rivals, Addiction, are in a dispute with Pete about a minor altercation a few races back [we t-boned them], and are threatening legal action. Pete shrugs it off: "We were' racin'."

We spot
Addiction ahead of us and start chasing. They are flying their spinnaker, which we do not have, yet we are slowly gaining ground. The banter gets more focussed, and we make a couple strategic tacks as we near the bouy.

The sun is setting as we round the mark, and if there was a green flash we've missed it in all the action...
Addiction has fouled her spinnaker as she rounded the mark, and we hear shouts coming from her deck.
We all grin broadly as we recognize our opportunity to take the race, set our jaws, trim the sails, and start bearing down on her.

Pete takes us above our rival and pins her on the outside, taking away her good wind and slingshotting past her. We are flying now, slicing through the swells and coming home to the finish marker with the afterglow of the sunset behind us. We've been on the water for an hour now and it feels like the party is just getting started as we leave them in the dust and cross the line.

Back at the club, Pete buys us a round and there are smiles all around.

Good race.





















1. ADDICTION OF PORT BOW


2. GOT 'EM PINNED















3. BYE BYE!

1 comment:

  1. I have been took a lot of sailing boats, racing,sunset,ocean,surfing photoes when I was running and jogging with my best friends over there...(Magic Island).

    I have very special emotion when I watching the sailing boat floating on the ocean...Actually my name meaning is "Sailing on the ocean" (Haifan 海帆). Some of my friends call me "Sailing" I was wonder why my mom gave this name to me but is not a girl name in China. My mom explained to me about why she choose that name when I was a kid. She expect me just like a sailing boat, who can go through any kind of difficulties on the "Ocean"...(Ocean=Life)never give up and have a flourishing life.... I really appreciated my mom chosen such beautiful name to me. So I still keep my Chinese name in here. ...

    I have so much "Aha!" memories in Magic Island ...

    I remember you told me your Chinese name call "Lang Ping Jai"? Anyway, the name's meaning seems like you-Adventure...

    ReplyDelete